Thursday, September 22, 2011

Knitting magazines and knitting cafes!

I am in awe of the knitting hysteria that is taking over in recent times and which is gaining in popularity at the speed of a lightening! It is no longer the pastime of only our grandmothers while our nimble fingers lay idle. The younger generations are finally encompassing the pleasure that can be derived from such a simple task as well understanding the joy felt at creating such wonderful knitted goods! It is a spectacular feat to observe! For many years I was apprehensive in telling a soul about my much-loved hobby for fear I would be ridiculed and laughed at. It is not many a woman in her teens and early 20s which wishes to be mortified and degraded by her peers! But with the spirit and determination of a young Jane Eyre in her battle to prove herself to be good and just and never a liar...I persevered with my 'uncool' activity in silence until the day arose that Julia Roberts and her knitting celebrity pals made it once again...a trendy hobby!

And what a world awaits those that seek to partake in a little needle clicking! A world of fabulous wools in every colour and fibre; simple or intricate patterns - whatever your choice - which enable the knitter to churn out beautiful clothing, toys and much more; Social groups to indulge our obsessions; a network of crafters worldwide coming together in shared love of a single hobby.

Gone are the days when knitting meant frumpy old fashioned designs, with the internet and a wealth of knitting magazines available, even a beginner knitter can create a fashionable item for others to admire. I myself am a great fan of the style presented by Vogue Knitting. Although I have never had the pleasure of creating an item from this fashionable magazine. It is unfortunate for me that I have not yet been able to source a supplier in the west of Ireland. But it is a task I have not yet given up on.

While reading something of late (the name I can't recall) I was informed of a shop-cafe in Beaumont Dublin, aptly named Stitch, which is "Dublin’s new knitting and stitching shop...a place to sit, knit and relax with a good old-fashioned cup of tea and a chat." What an amazing concept! How I have dreamed in the past of establishing a place like this! A refuge for the knitter of the world! I also discovered on their website that they stock Vogue knitting! How happy was I! I have since contacted the creative duo via there website about ordering a copy of the autumn issue. I am very much looking forward to a response!

Knitting and other needle craft groups are popping up everywhere. I myself am a member of CafeCreate in Galway, which was recently featured in the Sunday World. I would love to set up my own group as I am not living in the city and have to travel to attend the group on a Saturday in Galway. Although I say this, I have not really endeavored to go very far with this. I feel I would probably miss the gang in CafeCreate far too much.

As some of you may have noticed, My writing seems very formal today. I am currently reading Jane Eyre at a furious speed so that I can view it in the cinema. I guess the way in which it is written is rubbing off on me! So with all the old fashioned reading and writing..I also decided to knit myself a vintage style jumper from last winters issue of simply knitting. I think I am growing quite fond of pretending to live in a world void of technology, in ignorance of the fact that I am currently typing my blog on a personal computer! woops! Time to switch you off and have some classic me time enjoying the simplicity of life in times gone by!

Happy Knitting and Crafting

Helena =D

No comments:

Post a Comment