Wednesday, February 23, 2011

PhD offer and Valentine's weekend!!

This blog update is a more general update..not much to do with knitting but it has a creative element to it...card making...keep reading!!!

Where to begin?!! The weekend of Feb 11th-14th was probably the highlight of my year so far!! It all began when I had a job interview for a research assistant position in the NCBES...Previous to this interview I had been offered a PhD position if I wanted it in NUI Galway but was advised to go the job interview and then decide. I attended this job interview  and decided it was not for me...I felt the PhD was more in line with my career aspirations..so on Friday 11th of February..I accepted the offer for the PhD and headed in to Galway to celebrate in style with my girls!! Dazzling Dresses, killer heels, fabulous handbags and cosmo cocktails all round!! =D,
The front of the card

On Saturday night, I headed for dinner with my fiance. We had decided to stay in Galway for the night so we would not have to worry how we would get home. Usually we stay in his parent's house when we go in to Galway..but we figured seeing as we were celebrating my PhD offer as well as valentine's..that staying over in his home house would not be very romantic!! So....we booked into the harbour hotel for the night with a package that included dinner. We ate at Krusoe's restaurant which was amazing..one of the best restaurants I have eaten in..and I like my fine foods! I had crab to start and monk fish for the main! My mouth is still watering! My fiance was working, so we agreed to meet at the hotel..when he arrived he had brought with him...a single red rose, a bottle of champagne and two champagne flutes from home (wrapped carefully in a towel..so cute), a box of chocolates, and some Hershey's Reese's Cups and Nutrageous bar cos I adore them and the best of all...wait for it............


Inside the card
A HANDMADE VALENTINE CARD..handmade by my fiance of course. As an arty person who has handmade cards and scrap-booked for years....I guess my creative side is rubbing off. It is the first thing he has ever handmade me and I could not believe the thought and effort he put into it. Of course..I have attached some photos!

I actually felt very bad cos I didn't get him anything!!...every year previous I made a great effort for valentine's..making and doing stuff...and usually my fiance didn't get me a card..we just went for dinner and I would get flowers. He hates cards and never buys them..he thinks they are pointless. So I decided I wouldn't do anything creative this year so he wouldn't feel pressured....so you can imagine how I felt when he showed up with all the romantic gestures and I stood there empty handed......to top it off..when we got home on Sunday...there were a dozen red roses waiting for me. There I was with a massive red face..feeling like the worst fiancee in the world!! I had some serious making up to do!

The roses and the card

So on the actual day of valentine's, I bought him a wee heart muffin in sweetie pies of Galway (we love this place...might even get them to do the wedding cake) and cooked him some savoury pancakes from scratch with bacon, chorizo, onion, peppers and mushrooms in them and topped off with spicy sauce. He loves these pancakes as the remind him of the pancake ship in Almere we used to go to when I lived in The Netherlands.

I think I succeeded in making it up to him!! =D =D

Starting the PhD on March 1st and I think it will take a lot to top that weekend!!!! I have a permanent grin ever since!!

Next blog update.....my gloves for next year!!!!

HAPPY KNITTING AND CRAFTING

P.S. All materials used to make the card were purchased in Cregal Art , Monivea Rd, Galway.

No comments:

Post a Comment