Thursday, March 3, 2011

My first pair of gloves!!

Hello all!!

I still can't believe it is March 3rd already!! As of March 1st I became a student again officially!! So...I haven't got too much knitting or crafting done recently with all the excitement. Usually I get some done at the weekend but last weekend I was in Galway to celebrate my brother's birthday and stayed with my parents in law to be. So I was too busy drinking tea, eating soda bread and chatting to do anything creative! =D My fiance was sleeping off a horrible (man) hangover all day from the birthday celebrations the night before...I would blame those he was keeping company with but it was my fiance drank all that toxic beer by himself, not the rest of us..). It was a most enjoyable day bonding with my future mammy and daddy in-law. It was very relaxed and nice not to be stuck in front of the TV at home with a dying fiance moaning beside me! =D
I have been trying to get some done in the evenings as well but its getting more and more difficult as I have not really established a routine with work yet. Hopefully by the end of next week the latest I will be a little more settled.

I have however managed a small project in the last two weeks..I made my first pair of gloves!! I followed a pattern  which you can find here for cable news gloves. The pattern uses 4ply wool however I used Wendy double knitting merino bliss wool which made them a little bulkier and warmer (IMHO). The thumb and fingers are knitted individually but not separately therefore there is no sewing except for the side seam when breaking and tying the wool on the final finger. I decided to make these because I love the cable detail on each finger and because I just adore vintage patterns!
Each finger is knitted individually
R.H. Glove thumb & 2 fingers complete
 They fit extremely well  and are the Cinderella slipper of gloves which fit me the best!! I am really pleased with my new gloves and maybe just a little annoyed that the weather has gotten so nice that I no longer require them! I have decided to put them away for next year! I have found a few patterns for hats so maybe when the time comes for them again I will also have a matching hat =D I apologise for not having photos of the two gloves together..will post some in the next blog!
Finished right hand glove
R.H. glove on my hand.lovely cables!

So because my schedule is a little all over the place I wanted to pick a project that would take a while but could be done in a series a small pieces so that I could pick them up every now and then and not have to try remember any complicated pattern....so I went back to what I am best at and what I have been making since I was 15....Jean Greenhowe clowns!! I had made four so far in my lifetime...of which I possess 0..they were all given away as presents......but that's another blog post!!

Happy knitting and crafting


Helena =D









No comments:

Post a Comment