Friday, March 4, 2011

Colourful Clowns!

So as I mentioned in yesterday's blog post I am knitting a jean green howe clown at the moment. This is the first time I am making a clown for myself..before this I always made them for other people as gifts. I made my first clown when I was in my teens...


Godfrey Gadabout (picture from jean greenhowe)

It was a holiday themed clown called Godfrey Gadabout.Godfrey Gadabout just can't resist going on holidays, with shorts and scarf, sunglasses and umbrella, suitcase and map - he is definately equipped for every eventuality. And he wouldn't set off on his adventures without his extra special camera. I made Godfrey for my mother as she is always going on holidays as well although she never atkes a camera and only ever visits places where the sun shines all year round and an umbrella or scarf will never be needed! He now sits proudly on my parent's bed in Galway, Ireland!


Mr.Fortywinks
The second clown I made was Mr.Fortywinks. Theres nothing Mr.Fortywinks likes better than a good snooze. Thenafter a hard days snoozing, theres nothing he likes better than going to bed for a good night's sleep. Of course he always cleans his teeth before retiring, but it looks like he squeezed the tube too hard this time. I made Mr.Fortywinks for a friend of mine living in New Zealand. His new name is JellyJayBean the 2nd and he now resides in New Zealand. Quite a distance for one little clown to travel! Especially one who sleeps so much!!

Sidney Slapstick
The third clown I made and by far my favorite was Sidney Slapstick. Sidney slapstick is obviously a dedicated tradesman, dedicated that is to messing up just about anything and everything in sight. In fact Sidney appears to have more paint on his overalls than on the walls! I knitted Sidney for my Uncle as a christmas gift because after seeing my other clowns..he really wanted one of his own! His father, my grandad, was a painter and so I thought this was the perfect clown for him. He now sits happily in his home office in the beautiful town of Ennistymon, Co.Clare.

Bertie Bloomer

The fourth clown I knitted was Bertie Bloomer. Bertie Bloomer loves gardening, but watering his mushrooms can be quite a problem because it always makes his hat go soggy. Never mind Bertie, its a good excuse to dry off in the sunshine and get down to the serious business of making daisy chains. I knitted Bertie for my 80+ year old Aunt, who is also my godmother, as a christmas gift about 4 years ago. In her younger days she was an avid gardener so I knew she would really appreciate this gift.

So as you can see I put alot of work into making these clowns for other people but never made one for myself...so I have decided..IT'S ABOUT TIME.

All of the above clowns are what Jean Greenhowe calls the red nose gang. The clown I have decide to make..is one of her young alf's pals patterns. I am knitting young sweetie.

Young sweetie




I like young sweetie because she is a little smaller than the other clowns and of course...A GIRL! lol! A girl clown just for me!! Young sweetie is decked out with the most yummy sweets especially for me with my massive sweet tooth. Even her buttons are made of liquorice allsorts and those pin wheel lollipops are easy to make! She already has a very important job to do when she is complete...but I will explain that in time!

Until again,

Happy knitting and crafting

Helena =D

No comments:

Post a Comment